Scottish Cup

 Dundonald 2  - Acchinleck Talbot2 

J Smith , Ness                                                                                    


Dundonalds first every match in the offical Scottish Cup was marred by the sad news that their vice chairman Willie Webster had passed away the pervious night. A minutes silence was held in his honor which both sets of supporters observed.

Neither team were looking to give much away in the opening stages of this match but as the half progressed the chances started to appear. Dundonald had the first chance of the match when Mckenzie picked up the ball and drove forward he was joined in the attack by Wilson but Mckenzie pass to his team mate was poor and the chance was lost. It was Acchinleck who had the next chance and only a good save from Dundonald keeper Lennox prevented them taking the lead. Dundonald striker Smith was next to try and score when he beat the offside trap but a good double save by the Talbot keeper kept the score level. A moment of hesitation in the home defence allowed the visitors to take the lead when Kerr slide the ball into the net. Dundonald didn't let this set back affect them and continued to press Acchinleck in search of an equaliser. Mckenzie had a great chance to level the score when he brought the ball under control with a great touch but with the goal at his mercy he put his shot wide. The last chance of the half fell to Talbot when Lennox had to tip a acrobatic effort over the bar.

Half Time 0-1

Dundonald started the second half well and had the visitor on the back foot. Gay had an early chance after he was put in by Smith but the Accinleck defence managed to clear. The visitors showed they were still dangerous on the break when they raced towards goal but again goal keeper Lennox cleared the danger. Dundonald got themseleves back on level terms when a great ball from Gay cut open the Talbot defence and young substitute John Smith stayed calm and slotted the ball into the net. A stunning goal from Ness increased the "bluebells" lead when he picked the ball up on the edge of the box nut meged the defender then fired the ball into the top corner of the net. Unfortunately the lead didn't last long. As Accinleck pushed for the equaliser the home defence claimed the ball had went out on the left hand side but the linesmen didn't give it and when the Talbot player drove into the box his pass hit  Mackies hand and the ref pointed to the spot. Lennox saved the penalty but as he went to stop the rebound he caught the striker and the ref awarded another spot kick. The visitors made no mistake this time and drew level.

This was fine performance from Dundonald, against a team who are rated one of the best in the country, and they can count themselves unlucky not to be in the next round. They can head to Ayrshire next week without fear knowing that on their day they can match Accinleck and hopefully come back with a result.   

Next Match  


                           Challenge Cup                       Dundonald Bluebell v Tranent

Saturday 5th February 2022

Kick off 2-30pm